Friday, November 7, 2008

Seeing the Invisible Hand: Visualizing Economics

A couple of weeks ago I ran into a high school Social Studies teacher who was lamenting how difficult it was to help her pupils understand economic concepts. I talked to her about Thinkfinity's impressive content partner, EconEdlink. I also suggested that she take a look at Swivel, a site with a mission to "make data useful so people share insights, make great decisions and improve lives." Since the practical and considerate application of economics is also concerned with helping individuals make better choices, I figured that the teacher could Swivel to help her pupils employ what they are learning in terms of real life issues. I also promised that I would contact her if I came across any other useful resources.

Well, I'll definitely be sharing a site called Visualizing Economics. The site is mainly concerned with US income distribution. It provides a number of rich visual depictions of monetary issues that ought to be welcome addition to classroom activities.

.

No comments: